Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Meeting a Robot

Because I have cataracts, my eye doctor referred me for surgery a few weeks back. He's told me over the past 12 years that the day would come when I would need to have them removed. So it’ll happen this Thursday.

It's a little scary for me because most of my life I've used my left eye to see and read. I've been almost blind in my right eye since I was a child.

After the initial examination with the cataract surgeon he told me they'd be operating with a robot guided laser. He drew a diagram for me and took me through the process step-by-step. And he told me the robot is actually more accurate than a human. So I took the leap and scheduled it for this Thursday. I wanted it over as soon as possible.

Probably the part that bothers me most is that I might not need glasses, except to read. Now that may seem strange. But I've been wearing glasses for over 72 years, since I was about five years old. I'll feel strange without them. However, I may still need glasses for reading and using the computer.

A benefit of being sober over 25 years is that I can afford to care for myself. Medicare pays part because I'm well over 65. The rest comes from a monthly supplement plan I pay for so I can see any doctor I need to. And normally without a co-pay.

I didn't get sober to be unhealthy so I get an annual physical and follow doctor's suggestions. It's something I encourage all our clients to do.

They sometimes say they don't want to hear any bad news. But the reality is that one way or the other we'll all get bad news. It's just a matter of when.

But maybe we can put it off for a while if we care for ourselves.

Click here to email John