Monday, March 27, 2017

Harvoni

Over 30 years ago I contracted hepatitis C.  At the time I was diagnosed it hadn't even been identified. The doctor simply told me I had "non-A, non-B" hepatitis.  He said there was nothing to do other than avoid alcohol and drugs - which I've been doing for over 26 years.

But the good news, he said, was that my liver has little damage.  And that's the way it's stayed over these many years.

And recently the pharmaceutical companies released Harvoni.  It's a pill that is 98% effective in curing the virus.  It's also crazy expensive at $900 a dose.  However, a nice pharmacy technician told me I should apply for Medicare Part D, which reduced the price for the treatment to around $6,000. Something more reasonable.

I'm now four weeks into the eight week treatment. And I've had few side effects.  Once in a while a little fatigue, which is said to be one reaction. And sometimes I feel like I'm living in a haze. But it's not intolerable.

I encourage any of you who were IV drug users to be tested. See if you're a candidate for treatment. If you don't have insurance keep looking for resources because I've heard that sometimes the drug companies will help those who can't afford it.

Here's the link for Harvoni, the manufacturer.  You can learn everything about the treatment at their website.

Click here to email John