Sunday, January 14, 2018

Celebrating 27 Years

27 years ago today I awoke in a detox in Mesa, Arizona. I was going through withdrawals from heroin and alcohol and wasn't feeling very wonderful about life. However, the staff at the detox was keeping me comfortable with some lightweight medications that eased my withdrawal symptoms. Whatever they gave me, it kept me comfortable enough so that I could resist the urge to bolt out the door.

The day before I'd been living in a stolen car with seventy-three cents in my pocket, and in a dark cloud of depression about my life. I was 51 years old, and one more time I'd lost pretty much everything. My apartment. My job. My clothes. My car. All the material stuff. And I really didn't have any friends who wanted to talk to me. Or for that matter, even any family members who wanted to hear from me – except maybe my mother. I was completely demoralized.

While in the detox I was presented with some educational programs that helped me, especially the various twelve-step programs. The detox featured Alcoholics Anonymous, Cocaine Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, and a few others. I was confused about which meetings to go to because I liked all kinds of drugs. But finally, I settled upon Alcoholics Anonymous, because about 60% of its members also use some other kind of drug besides alcohol.

After 11 days the detox referred me to a local halfway house, which accepted me without money. And to them, I am eternally grateful. Because if I'd went back to the streets I'm not sure I would've survived. I spent a year in that program, then left and started my own halfway house. Today it has some 850 residents and operates a treatment program and several other businesses that help support addicts in recovery.

Today I lead almost a dream life. I have family and a circle of friends around me. I have all the material things a person could ask for. At 78 years of age, I'm still healthy enough to show up to work five or six days a week.

Does that mean I don't have challenges in my life? Not at all.

I've lost most of my close family members over the last 27 years. I developed neuropathy in both feet about 10 years ago and must wear braces. I had hepatitis C for 30 years, but new medical treatments cured it a year ago. I had 45 days of radiation treatment for prostate cancer in 2016, and it disappeared. I've faced financial setbacks and suffered my share of ups and downs in the halfway house business. And this past year has been especially tough because I've been going through a nasty divorce that I never planned on. And then right before Christmas, my dog José succumbed to diabetes.

But nothing has made me want to pick up a drug or a drink. And for that, I'm truly grateful.

Click here to email John