Thursday, March 8, 2018

Mexican Moments

My daughter and I are at Paradise Village in Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico, this week.  It's a makeup for a vacation we took last November when we both caught the flue from someone on the plane while coming here.  We were sick the whole week and had little fun at all.

This time we're feeling good, working out, eating healthy, and spending time making up for all we missed in November - if making up for anything we miss in life is possible.

And I say that because my orientation these days is to live in the moment and enjoy life as it unfolds.  Rather than fretting about what might have been or what might happen next.

Before I got sober 27 years ago I spent much of my time either in the past or the future.  Either I was feeling sorry about what life had dealt me or else I was fantasizing about the future - usually through glasses of negativity.

Today I counsel our clients to practice living in the moment.  If they must wander to the past, accept what they find there.  And if they must peer into the future do it, not with fear, but with a positive attitude.  If we look with the right attitude who knows what riches and blessings we'll discover?

If we must leave the present moment, let's arm ourselves with acceptance and positivity.