Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Finding Gratitude

In the summertime, we can often lose our patience, especially here in Arizona when the temperatures are typically over 110° this time of year. And I found myself in that situation today while in the drive-through of a restaurant waiting to pick up a burrito.

Now mind you, I was sitting in a comfortable seat in an air-conditioned car with the interior temperature at about 68°. Yet, even though I was cool just the idea of the heat outside made me a little testy and wonder what was taking so long for my order.

While waiting, I happened to notice out of the corner of my eye an elderly one-legged man in a dilapidated wheelchair struggling with both arms to move the chair forward toward the crosswalk, which was about 20 feet ahead of him. His progress was slow and painful. It seemed to take all of his strength and effort to move a few feet, yet he continued forward.

As I watched, I marveled at his persistence. I wondered how he had lost his leg and gotten himself into a situation where he would be out in 110° heat in his condition. Had he lost his leg in an accident or maybe to diabetes? Was he an alcoholic or drug addict? Was he homeless? Was there something I could do to help him?

While all this was going around and around in my head he made it across the intersection and disappeared into a parking lot on the other side of the street.

After I lost sight of him I realized that my impatience had disappeared. Instead, I found that it had been replaced by gratitude for the circumstances of my own life. No matter the temperature, I was able to stay comfortable in both my automobile and in my comfortable suburban home.

Sometimes the universe reminds me that there are many who suffer and struggle to just make it through the day. And it's these kinds of reminders that help me travel in a state of gratitude for the life I have today.

Click here to email John