Sunday, June 3, 2018

Punishing Ourselves

"You will not be punished for your anger. You will be punished by your anger." Buddha

Several times during this past year I've been dealing with people who are consumed by anger. I had to get a restraining order against one of them because he showed up at our offices late one afternoon about a year ago with a few of his ex-con buddies, threatening to kill me and my business partner.

Fortunately, we'd both left a few hours earlier. And the next day we got a restraining order to prohibit him from coming near our properties or employees. We also had an enhanced security system installed. And a few weeks later, he was returned to prison for violating his parole. However, he was released again a few weeks ago and sure enough, he showed back up at our offices wanting to speak to me. And once more, I was not at the office – this time because I was ill and forced to spend the day at home. Which was fortunate for me.

This man's been angry at me for over 20 years because he thought I'd taken advantage of one of his relatives in a business transaction. However, the relative and I settled our differences 20 years ago when I bought her half of the business we jointly owned. She and I are on good terms today and have phone conversations every so often. But somehow, his seething resentment and anger – coupled with his borderline schizophrenia – have stayed with him all this time, disrupting his serenity and peace of mind.

And I have another person with that same degree of anger in my life. And she, like this man, is borderline mentally ill. She and I were involved in a long-term contract that went bad and have been in court several times over the issue. She's so consumed by anger and rage that she's spent thousands of dollars trying to punish me and obtain what she considers to be "justice." I've made several generous offers to her – going far beyond what Arizona law requires – but to no avail. Even my attorneys have told me that I'm going beyond what is required and that the matter will have to be settled by a judge. And of course, the judge will follow the guidelines of the Arizona Revised Statutes – which will definitely resolve the matter in a way that'll be fair to both parties.

I feel compassion for these people. Because they're wasting their precious time on this planet being angry. They both feel and act like victims. They both express a sense of entitlement that's totally unjustified. Part of their challenges, in my opinion, is that their mental problems have made them delusional to the point that they don't have the ability to act in their own best interests.

And if they do have the ability, then this is another example of people being punished, not for their anger, but by their anger.

Click here to email John