Friday, November 5, 2021

Panhandlers

We've all seen them as we drive through our city.  Panhandlers.  Bums.  Some of them with crude signs standing on the corners asking for donations.  Some will be playing a guitar and singing.   And the question is should we give them anything?  After all,  I work for my money.  I have a home and a car.  And I work for them.

Sometimes, if it's convenient and I have change I'll pass it out the window.  And they'll bless me with a thank you.  But other times I'll be in a mood and drive by and give them nothing.  Later I'll think I should have given them something.

Once I gave $5.00 to a couple outside a Walgreen's.  And as I did so a woman sitting in a car next to mine told me I shouldn't have done that because they would just use the money to buy dope.  While it was none of her business, I really couldn't disagree with her.

And the reason I didn't disagree with her is because of something my sponsor told me one time. He said always give panhandlers what you can afford, that way they may get to the bottom quicker.  And it was good logic because until I reached my bottom I never had any motivation to get sober.

Many of us went through a lot of dope or booze or both before we came to the point where we could no longer stand the pain.  

So I believe we should give what we can - we might help save a life.

Click here to email John

No comments:

Post a Comment