Tuesday, November 2, 2021

The Art of Giving

For 15 years or more I've had a friend who is a perfect example of giving.   When asked, he never says no.  If someone needs a ride, he gives it to them.  If they need help with moving, he's there.  For example he recently flew to the East coast to drive a friend in a U-Haul who was moving back to Arizona.  Other than complaining about being a little tired after the trip, I think he'd probably do it again if asked.

He often volunteers to help others to the point where he's exhausted.  And I think one of the reasons he's so generous with his time and energy is that he lives a live of gratitude.  Much of his conversation revolves around the blessings he's found in his life of sobriety.  And while this is only my opinion, I think his generosity is based on what sobriety has brought to his life.  His walk is an example to others.

While I've been sober for much longer than he has, I only wish I had a portion of the helpfulness he gives others.  He's a person who asks for nothing, who seldom displays anger or ego - all qualities we could strive for.

He does his best to make the world a more beautiful place.  Because he likes to garden, new plants and flowers appear all the time whenever he finds an empty plot of dirt.  A picture will appear on a bare wall.  Once in a while he'll show up at my office with a lunch he's prepared in our community kitchen.

Because he has training in barbering and hair care, he often volunteers to cut a newcomer's hair at no cost.  And while he's doing it he gets a chance to tell them what recovery has brought to his life.

For the past few years, in the midst of all his busyness, he's been acting as a caretaker for an elderly relative who is fighting a terminal disease.  Any of you who have take care of a sick relative knows how stressful and draining it can be to care for some who is in the final stages of life.

If you have a challenge, ask what he would do.  You may not know who I'm talking about.  But ask me and I'll introduce you to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment