Sunday, January 16, 2022

31 years

During December of 1990 - and the early part of January 1991 - I was full of alcohol and drugs.  At 51, I'd come to a fork in the road where I didn't know what to do with my life.  I was also homeless and shoplifting everyday to survive.

I was strung out on heroin, alcohol and anything else that would change my level of consciousness.  But I also knew that if I didn't make some changes I'd either be back in prison, in a hospital, or dead.  So I decided to make some changes.

January 13, 1991, I went into EVAC , a detox center in Mesa, Arizona and have been sober ever since.  It was the wisest decision I'd ever made.

I stayed in that program for 11 days and was determined to do whatever it took to stay sober.  I followed all their directions and left there for a halfway house, where I stayed for a year.  

After leaving there I went back to work at my old job and worked on the side setting up my own halfway house.  I planned to operate it more as an avocation than a vocation.  But so many people started seeking help that it became my full-time job.

Plus it helped me stay sober for 31 years.

Click here to email John

No comments:

Post a Comment