Monday, February 28, 2022

Following Suggestions

When I first got sober in January of 1991, I began following the suggestions that were given to me in AA meetings.

One suggestion was that I get a sponsor and I had a bit of a problem with that.  Why, I thought, did I need another person to teach me how to read a book or take an inventory?  But, I decided to get one anyway.  After all, it was my best thinking that had turned me into an alcoholic and addict so maybe someone else's experiences could help change my thinking.

So I went through two of them before I found one that I felt like I could communicate with.  The reason I got rid of the first one was because he came off like he thought he was a psychiatrist.  Plus he would never tell me how long he'd been sober.

When I found the second one we were a perfect fit.  He was a retired probation officer and he gave his opinion and never minced words.  For example, I once asked him how come I was always arguing with my wife.  He told me that he couldn't really give me any advice about that because he and his wife had a perfect relationship; he lived in Mesa and she lived in Prescott.  That way they never argued.  He was down to earth like that.

He also taught me how to volunteer and help homeless alcoholics get sober.  He set an example by volunteering at soup kitchens.  And he also gave money to alcoholics who approached him outside of convenience stores.  When I asked him why he did that, because they were just going to get drunk with the money he told me that was okay.  He said they might get drunk enough to decide to quit, that maybe someday they would get enough.

My point today is to get a sponsor; they might help save your life.

Click here to email John

No comments:

Post a Comment