Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Slow Down

Today the long arm of the law finally caught up with me.

It happened after I made a left turn onto an east-west street. I accelerated as I left the corner and - sure enough – there camouflaged in the shadows was a motorcycle officer pointing a radar gun right at me.

I knew I was had. And, sure enough, he raced up behind me, lights flashing. When I started to pull over, he instructed me to find an area to pull off of the street - so I did.

When he approached the window I passed him my driver's license and registration. And while he was back at his motorcycle talking on a microphone with someone somewhere about the papers in his hand I had a vague hope that maybe he would grant mercy because I hadn't had a ticket in over 12 years. However, when he returned and asked me to sign a small computer screen I accepted that I was done.

The surprising thing is the way I accepted the whole thing. Many years ago I would've been lamenting about the government. The police. The injustice of it all. How the world had it in for me.

But today I look at the whole situation differently.. Actually, I believe getting a ticket is a good thing. I know that sounds stupid but every once in a while I have to check myself while on the road. Particularly, when I'm driving my six speed, 400+ horsepower, Z06 Corvette. In that car it's easy to be over the speed limit within seconds. And today it was 48 in a 35 mile zone.

I think part of the change is I've been sober over 22 years. Therefore more accepting.

It’s a message from the universe that I need to slow down and observe traffic laws. Just like any other law-abiding citizen.