Wednesday, April 17, 2013

RIP

Just heard tonight about the untimely passing of a former TLC client from a drug overdose. While I never met him, he came to my attention after he started a small chain of halfway houses in the same city as our corporate office.

Over the years I heard he was spreading smack about TLC. And once someone gave me one of his brochures disparaging our program.

But we never let that bother us for more than a minute. Some clients leave and start halfway houses. Some do well and help people. Others fold up after the operators discover it’s hard work taking care of addicts and alcoholics. So they end up doing something else.

And those who waste time being angry at TLC aren’t paying a lot of attention to their own business. Something I learned long ago - while working as a salesman - was to never badmouth the competition. Instead, be gracious and realize that we live in a bountiful world that offers enough for everyone to thrive.

In spite of his antipathy toward us, I’m sad about this man's passing. And even though he had no love for us - and let the world know it - I’m sorry he left the world with a needle in his arm

It's always sad when one has the information but fails to use it.