Monday, April 29, 2013

Skewed Priorities

Today a newcomer approached me after a 12-step meeting and told me he’d just come into the program the day before. And that all he owned was the clothes on his back.

We chatted for a while, but most of his conversation was about work. He needed to get back to his job. All he needed was a desk. A telephone. A fax machine. He was well-regarded in his industry and connected with a lot of people who were willing to work with him because of his experience.

I listened to this for a while but finally interrupted him with a question.

“You’ve never had a problem finding work or making money, have you,” I asked him.

He agreed. He’s always been able to work and make a living.

“So work and money aren’t an issue?”

Again he agreed.

“So you know what your real issue is, right?”

He knew his problem was staying sober – something he’d never been able to do for long.

I write a lot on this theme. Nearly every male substance abuser I know focuses on work or a job.

And I point out each time that if we stay sober and clean jobs and money show up. It’s so redundant it’s a cliché.

And the one thing that usually shuts down these conversations is when I point out that attending a 12-step meeting is evidence that the job thing didn't work. 

Otherwise they wouldn't be at a 12-step meeting trying to figure out what went wrong.

Of course we need to work to survive.  But while recovery is work - work is not recovery.