Sunday, April 28, 2013

Slow Down

Today the long arm of the law finally caught up with me.

It happened after I made a left turn onto an east-west street. I accelerated as I left the corner and - sure enough – there camouflaged in the shadows was a motorcycle officer pointing a radar gun right at me.

I knew I was had. And, sure enough, he raced up behind me, lights flashing. When I started to pull over, he instructed me to find an area to pull off of the street - so I did.

When he approached the window I passed him my driver's license and registration. And while he was back at his motorcycle talking on a microphone with someone somewhere about the papers in his hand I had a vague hope that maybe he would grant mercy because I hadn't had a ticket in over 12 years. However, when he returned and asked me to sign a small computer screen I accepted that I was done.

The surprising thing is the way I accepted the whole thing. Many years ago I would've been lamenting about the government. The police. The injustice of it all. How the world had it in for me.

But today I look at the whole situation differently.. Actually, I believe getting a ticket is a good thing. I know that sounds stupid but every once in a while I have to check myself while on the road. Particularly, when I'm driving my six speed, 400+ horsepower, Z06 Corvette. In that car it's easy to be over the speed limit within seconds. And today it was 48 in a 35 mile zone.

I think part of the change is I've been sober over 22 years. Therefore more accepting.

It’s a message from the universe that I need to slow down and observe traffic laws. Just like any other law-abiding citizen.