Monday, April 15, 2013

1000 and counting...

1000 days! 1000 blogs. I kept my commitment! Which is important. Now forward for the next however many postings.

And that segues to today when – during our monthly business meeting – a manager expressed gratitude for the hard work I've put into TLC. Work which helped him change his life.

So I shared my secret. And the secret is nothing arcane. The secret is to show up each day. When you feel like it. When you don't feel like it. No matter what, keep showing up.

An example of this is the way I’ve written this blog. Some days the last thing I felt like doing is writing. But I did it anyway because I wanted to keep my commitment to myself

There were times when the computer was unavailable or broken late at night.  At times I had to post a blog from my telephone. Or from my iPad.

A few times I was in Mexico and the internet was kind of iffy. But I figured it out.

The secret is to show up every day. It's not the school you attended. It's not the education you have. It's not who you know. It's about showing up and trudging ahead. Often boring and unrewarding. But that’s how we get there.

It's like the aphorism of the tortoise and the hare. The hare’s good at the hundred yard dash. But the tortoise just keeps on going, keeping on. And he comes in first because he doesn’t stop. He keeps on….

I don't do my best work each day. What’s published here's never perfect. Yes, once in a while I like what I see on the screen. But the real thing is that I keep showing up every day. And hopefully getting better in the process.

I was considering just doing the blog once in a while once I met my goal of 1000. But then a couple of times mothers or fathers wrote to say that something they read here helped them make a decision to get their child into recovery. One message like that makes the whole thing worthwhile

If just one person's able to change, then it's all worth it. And worth continuing to do.