Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Lenses of Recovery

A family member - who’s not an addict - asked why my blogs all relate to recovery.

And the answer’s simple: because 100% of my life is based on recovery.

I came to realize long ago that my eyes must be upon recovery. Without that, everything's at risk.

Therefore I look at the world through the lenses of recovery. If something impacts me in a negative way I immediately pay attention. Recovery for addicts like me is a way of life.  No half measures.

I don't go to bars. Or nightclubs. I don't associate with those who are using, even family members. My only contact with those under the influence is to help them get to detox or into a program.

I do a 10th step throughout the day so I don't accumulate resentments and anger. Then life flows smoothly

Because I paid a heavy price for my addictions I never risk a return to using. While this may seem a dogmatic and strict way to live, it works for me.

I know others who've been sober 20 plus years who've let their guard down and relapsed. Some didn't make it back.

None of us are immune. And that's why I live recovery.