Friday, July 12, 2013

The Right Person

I noticed that a co-worker spent several minutes each day on the phone with her grandmother, who was at the time nearly 90 years old.

Much later she told me she’d called her each day for many years because she was someone who’d never given up on her – even when she was at her bottom.

The kindness and love this woman showed her grandmother was an indication of her character.

I sometimes hear the lament that it’s difficult to find a good person to spend our lives with. But I believe a place to start is to pay attention how a person treats others – particularly the powerless, the weak or those who have nothing to give.

Most treat the boss with respect or are nice to someone who might help them advance. But how do they treat the elderly, the sick, the homeless, those socially inferior to them? That’s a real indication of their spirit, love, and compassion.

By the way, I was fortunate enough to marry the woman who called her grandmother each day.

And I was right about her because she treats me with all the love and kindness I could ever wish for.