Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Lenses of Recovery

A family member - who’s not an addict - asked why my blogs all relate to recovery.

And the answer’s simple: because 100% of my life is based on recovery.

I came to realize long ago that my eyes must be upon recovery. Without that, everything's at risk.

Therefore I look at the world through the lenses of recovery. If something impacts me in a negative way I immediately pay attention. Recovery for addicts like me is a way of life.  No half measures.

I don't go to bars. Or nightclubs. I don't associate with those who are using, even family members. My only contact with those under the influence is to help them get to detox or into a program.

I do a 10th step throughout the day so I don't accumulate resentments and anger. Then life flows smoothly

Because I paid a heavy price for my addictions I never risk a return to using. While this may seem a dogmatic and strict way to live, it works for me.

I know others who've been sober 20 plus years who've let their guard down and relapsed. Some didn't make it back.

None of us are immune. And that's why I live recovery.