Monday, May 30, 2011

Making a Difference

One of our managers was talking to me about how he didn’t know what he wanted to do with his life.

“What’s your life like now? I asked him. “Are you happy in your job? Do you have a place to live? Do you have enough to eat? You have clothes? Are you sober?”

“My life’s never been better,” he replied. “I’ve never been sober this long. I live better than I ever have. I’m not in jail. And sometimes I think I help people.”

“Then maybe what you’re doing right now is what you’re supposed to be doing with your life,” I told him.

We also talked of the work he’s doing, helping forty plus addicts who live in his house.

“You're in a position of great privilege,” I told him. “How many people get to work in a job where they might influence the rest of a person’s life?"

I went on to explain to him that helping an addict get sober influences not just him. It also might influence the addict’s children and grandchildren. It’s like the analogy of throwing a pebble in a pond: the ripples keep radiating outward. Helping just one or two addicts can change the world in a small way. What greater blessing can we ask for?

I told our manager he should enjoy the path his life is on. God will let him know if you should change paths – or destinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment