Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Staying Sober by Giving Back

A client who’s been sober a year decided to become a substance abuse counselor because his high-pressure bill collecting job doesn’t do much for his spirituality. However, he confided that he was dismayed at the challenges he faced when he returned to school after 30 years of substance abuse.

“My teacher told me I’d have to improve my writing skills if I expected to succeed as a counselor,” he told me. He said he’d always thought he wrote well enough but asked me how to become a better writer.

I offered to review his schoolwork so he sent me some of his writing assignments. They weren’t that bad but I did have suggestions. I told him to keep it simple, to write as if he were talking to the reader. And to avoid big words that we sometimes use in an effort to impress. He did as I suggested and his grades improved.

He told me he’d started using when he was around 12 and education took last place in his life. The only thing he paid attention to in school was girls and the people who had the drugs and liked to party. But now that he’s been sober awhile he finds purpose in helping others and believes his experiences will help him be an effective counselor. Because of this he’s willing to work hard in school to obtain the credentials he needs.

I’m encouraging him because even if he only helps a few people as a counselor at least he’ll be able to give back and stay sober himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment