Monday, January 6, 2014

Anniversary Coming

January 14, 1991, I was homeless. I had 73 cents in my pocket. I had a raging alcohol and heroin addiction. No one wanted to talk to me. I stole every day to survive. I slept in the backseat of a stolen Mustang.

My morning routine was to shoplift something to drink. The alcohol gave me the courage to steal something that I could trade for heroin.

Each day was a black cloud of demoralization. I looked over the horizon and could picture myself at 51 walking back through prison gates. I really didn't expect to live much longer. And there was a part of me that didn't care.

But somehow God saw fit to direct me to a local detoxification unit. That’s when I admitted I was an alcoholic. I always knew I was a heroin addict because I kept getting sent to jail, prison, and hospitals because of my addiction.

Once I made that admission and started attending 12 step meetings my life changed forever. I left that detoxification unit and went to a local halfway house, where I spent almost a year.

And when I left there I moved into TLC's first property on Robson Street. Twenty-three years later I can't believe the life I'm enjoying.

The point is that any of us can live up to our potential once we get clean and sober..

Click here to leave a comment