Sunday, January 5, 2014

He's Willing

I received emails last week from a therapist in another state, asking if we accept clients with emotional challenges, those on medication.

Since this client had been on psychiatric medication since childhood, I asked her to have him call me, if that was possible.

And when I spoke to him yesterday, I questioned him. One was about his motivation to change his life and his willingness to do the sometimes hard work of recovery. He’s willing.

I asked about his arrest history because we don't accept those with arrests for sexual crimes or arson. He had none of those.

He had a question of his own, the right question. And that was about the local job market because he was concerned about employment. I assured him that there was work here.

At the end of the exchange I told the therapist to send him here – that we’d accept him. They both were grateful.

And while I appreciated their gratitude, the reality is that this client didn't sound any different than many of those already with us.

The motivated make it. The unmotivated drop out.