Thursday, January 2, 2014

Gratitude Moment

A man's in my office for a substance abuse assessment so he can be cleared to return to work. His eyes dart all over the room. He's sweaty, nervous, and antsy. Almost like he might bolt out the door at any moment.

I suggest that he relax and take a deep breath. Then I ask, "Are you under the influence of methamphetamines?"

"Yes I am," he replies. "I need to stop."

Then he goes on to tell me that even though he’s been using for less than a year his life “has gone to hell.”

His wife's divorcing him. He wrecked his car. His employer let him go because he'd stay awake for so many days that whenever he sat down he'd immediately fall asleep. He’s baffled because his life’s disintegrating.

He doesn’t seem happy when I point out that until he gets clean things are likely to continue to get worse.

Because of his test results, and the safety-sensitive job he does for his employer, I refer him to an intensive treatment program for further evaluation and recommendations.

And while I’m at my computer typing the referral paperwork for him, I hear snoring. Sure enough, he fell asleep.

When he left my office I had a sense of gratitude that I got sober 23 years ago.