Friday, June 28, 2019

Flowing with happiness

Since February 2017 my life has been a series of ups and downs. Divorced. Financial setbacks. Key people relapsing. Old friends getting sick and a few others passing on. Clients filing lawsuits over nonsensical issues, hoping to make a quick buck.  To use a cliché it's kind of been one thing after another.

So what does one do when life is all of a sudden upside down?

Well the old me, the person I was before I got sober 28 years ago would have reached immediately for my favorite painkiller which was heroin, alcohol, or just about anything else I could get my hands on. I would drown my misery for as long as I could until I ended up in more trouble such as jail, bankruptcy, or homelessness.

Today though, after living through so many years of recovery and the challenges of life I know exactly what to do. I not only follow the principles of Alcoholics Anonymous and go to meetings on a weekly basis, but I also attend meditation gatherings. And each day I also engage in 45 minutes to an hour of exercise, either aerobic, swimming, bicycling or working out with weights. Aside from that, I feed my mind positive thinking podcasts or audiobooks because I believe that we are what we consume.

I am currently listening for the fourth time to a book by Doctor Robert Puff, titled "Finding Our Happiness Flow." This is a book that I heartily recommend to anyone at any time and especially when we are living in difficult situations or have serious challenges in our lives. He also has free podcasts on YouTube that cover almost every aspect of our lives. Great stuff.

The essence of what he teaches us is how to be happy, no matter what our circumstances. He describes some of his clients who have cancer, some who are on death row, some who are billionaires, and how he has taught all of them to be happy no matter what they're going through. He is a very convincing best-selling author who has changed my outlook on life since I encountered him a few years ago. And if you're going through stuff, I believe that he can change yours too.

It's especially important for people like myself, drug addicts and alcoholics, to use every available resource to remain on track and to be a contributor to the world. And if we keep pumping positive thoughts into our minds we really do have the capability of doing anything we choose to do with our lives.

Click here to email John