Saturday, April 2, 2022

Choose your Mood

In working with addicts and alcoholics for over 30 years, I've discovered that one reason they relapse is they let their emotions and feelings control their lives.

If you're someone who's pushed around by your emotions when you're upset, this is for you. Whether you realize it or not, those uncomfortable feelings and emotions that seem to come from nowhere and give you the urge to stop your discomfort with drugs or alcohol can be controlled.  But it takes a little practice and work.

And here I can use myself as an example.  A few weeks ago TLC received a letter from the State of Arizona. The essence of the letter was that we needed to obtain a license for one of our houses or we would have to pay a $1,000 a day penalty until we complied.  Well, immediately a rush of anxiety came over me.

And the reason for that is that in 1998 we received a similar letter from the City of Mesa and spent five years in Federal Court until the matter was resolved by our lawyers.

However, this recent letter had me upset for a while.  However, I had a talk with myself and asked what was the worst thing that could happen?  And I decided that the best thing I could do was ask myself if there was anything I could do about the State's demands.  And that reminded me that we have an excellent attorney that we've employed for several years and that the State's letter should be forwarded to him.  Which I did.

And he got busy and sent paperwork to the State describing the action we would take if they pursued further discriminatory action against us.  As soon as the letter was sent I felt much better because I'd done everything I could in the moment.  I know that we're probably in for a long battle, but we've done the best we can in the situation.  And I didn't relapse or stay upset.

And you can do the same thing when life throws you a curve ball.  Ask yourself what you can do about the situation.  Then take action.  If there's nothing you can do, then accept that you're powerless and move on with your life.

And you'll live with little or no anxiety.

Click here to email John

No comments:

Post a Comment