Thursday, April 14, 2022

Power of Alcohol

Earlier this week I was walking on the sidewalk in front of my office when a man walking toward me greeted me by name and stopped and talked to me.  Kind of like we were old friends.

But for the life of me I didn't remember him or recognize his face.  We chatted for a few minutes about nothing in particular.  Since I still didn't recognize him, I finally asked his name.

I could tell that it angered him when I asked, because he told me his name and then abruptly walked off.  I could understand his anger because he'd been at TLC 15 years ago for quite a while, then left and returned a couple more times after relapsing.

I saw him last around a year ago.  At the time he was living on the streets, drinking heavily, and not interested in getting sober.  When I last saw him he didn't look too beat up or deteriorated. And I still could still recognize him.

But when I saw him this week I had no clue as to who he was.  He'd shrunk about three inches.  He was hunched over.  His voice had changed.  His face was weathered and drawn, like an unhealthy100 year old.

I was amazed at the change in his appearance and demeanor; and genuinely felt sorry for him. 

The important takeaway I got from this is the devastating power of alcohol to destroy our bodies and minds when we drink alcoholically.  While I haven't had the urge to drink in over 30 years, this encounter still reinforced my sobriety.

And made me realize that the best thing I've ever done is to get sober.

Click here to email John


No comments:

Post a Comment