Sunday, April 17, 2022

Hurting those who Love Us

In my last blog I wrote about running into a former client whom I hadn't seen for a year or so.  When I saw him, I didn't recognize him because he'd deteriorated so much from his alcohol habit.

That blog inspired a lady to write me about her 50 year old son who's been living on the streets of a Midwestern city for many years. She writes me periodically whenever she reads a blog that reminds her of the son she treasures.  She's a sweet personality and I really feel the depth of her pain and love when she updates me about his current situation.  In her email to me she said that her son was also rapidly deteriorating.  He'd lost his bottom teeth, was wearing old clothes, and had an odor about him.

Her son was injured in an accident on the job some 20 years ago.  And from what I understand his life has been a mess every since.  According to his mom, he's been on the streets most of that time, including a couple of years when he lived on the streets of Washington D.C., attempting to speak to the President about the injury for which he hadn't been compensated.

Years ago, his mother had trouble dealing with the situation, as do most parents of alcoholics and addicts.  But this woman eventually took charge of her life and went into the community to find resources to help her cope.  From what I understand she's sought therapy and is also a practicing member of Alanon - an offshoot of Alcoholics Anonymous.

I publish this blog because I want our clients to understand that their disease - whether drug or alcohol addiction - has a profound affect upon family and loved ones.  As we progress through our addictions we must be aware of the pain we cause those who are close to us.

Our disease doesn't only affect us; it has a profoundly negative affect upon those who raised us.

Click here to email John

No comments:

Post a Comment