Saturday, February 25, 2023

Caring for Ourselves

When I was in my 20s and 30s I felt like I probably wouldn't live to 40.  I didn't pay attention to my diet; if it tasted good I'd eat it.  If it was a choice between alcohol or drugs I'd take both of them.  When I was using, exercise was an afterthought.  My life was about hedonistic pleasure.  If it tasted or felt good that was for me.

I bring this up today because on the 23rd I underwent a four hour ablation on my heart to alleviate a condition called atrial fibrillation that had started affecting me following an auto accident I'd experienced February 7 of 2022.  Not sure if the accident had anything to do with it, but that's when the condition began to affect me. It has to do with the electrical impulses in the heart.  And the surgery is to remove the electrical nodules in the heart chamber,

The condition didn't cause pain.  In fact, the only discomfort was a constant lethargy that slowed me down and sapped my energy.  My cardiologist had some options for me if I chose to do something about the condition.  So, I elected to have the ablation.

A few people asked why I would do something that called for surgery on the heart, that it might be dangerous.  But I did my research before deciding to proceed.  And the real reason I included this in a blog is to encourage addicts to care for themselves.  Especially men.

I've heard a lot of guys say they don't want to see a doctor because they don't want "any bad news."  But the reality is that we're all going to get "bad news" at some time in our lives.  

That's why we should take care of our health so we can maybe enjoy a few more healthy years.

Click here to email John


No comments:

Post a Comment