Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Not a Job - A Mission

I was reading an article on the internet the other day that said the average job in the United States lasts 4.3 years.  

I paused to reflect when I read that because I've had the same job since I got sober 32 years ago.  It's been the longest job I've ever had.  And I had to think for a while until I figured out the difference.

And I think the reason I've worked here so long is that I really don't consider what I do to be a job.  Yes, I do show up every day and see that different aspects of the company are functioning as they should be.  In other words, are the bills paid?  Are we carrying out our mission of helping addicts and alcoholics change their lives. Are the buildings in good repair?  Is our population where it should be?

Rather than this being a job, I consider what I do to be a mission.  And TLC's mission is to help recovering substance abusers rebuild their lives.  

When I awake in the morning and put my feet on the floor I don't do any negative self-talk about having to go to work.  My outlook is that I get to go to work.  I'm happy to go to work.. 

I'm blessed with the opportunity to help others change their lives.  I'm able to share with others what it's like to live a free life, unburdened by the pressure to find drugs or alcohol.  I look back on the years when I was using and think that those were some of the most difficult years of my life.  I never had enough of anything.  It seemed like I was always struggling to find drugs or money.  And, I was always looking over my shoulder to see if the police were behind me.

Many of our clients who stay sober are those who find employment they enjoy. They also look forward to getting up in the morning and doing something productive with their lives.  They feel the growing self-esteem that comes with contributing to society - and along with staying sober, they are caring for their loved ones.

Click her to email John                      

No comments:

Post a Comment