Monday, February 13, 2023

Crossing the Line

So why do some of us get sober?  And others are never quite able to get to the point where they want to quit.

While I'm not the answer guy, I do have 32 years of living a sober life and so feel qualified to weigh in with an opinion.  

I'll start with why I stopped using alcohol and drugs.  And the answer is simple.  Being drunk and high and paying the consequences for living that way was simply too painful.  In my forties I started to realize that I might spend the rest of my life struggling to keep a certain chemical balance and never quite reach that elusive feeling of euphoria that drugs and alcohol sometimes brought me for a short period of time.  

I felt like my life was a chemistry experiment.  One that I couldn't quite get right.  Oh, maybe for a moment I'd feel some kind of a rush or feeling of bliss.  But then, it was just as quickly gone and I'd be left to figure out how to get back to where I wanted to be.

That went on and on until I started to realize that what I was doing wasn't working anymore.  I was spending most of my time looking for something to steal and sell  so I could keep my head in the place I wanted to be.  And I never was quite able to get where I thought I needed to be.  And no amount of trying got me any closer.  And at about that point I began to entertain the idea of getting sober and living a different kind of life.  And that's what I did.

Being sober isn't always a bed of roses, but it's 100% better than the way I lived 32 years ago.

Click here to email John

No comments:

Post a Comment