Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Ego is not our Amigo

Something interesting and curious I've learned during my 32 years of recovery is that when some people become financially successful they lose their gratitude.  Now this isn't all people. But a number of those I've been close to have started with nothing, become successful, then turned into different human beings.  

They've become arrogant, egotistical, and a couple of them actually were taking credit for TLC's success.

In fact, I helped two staff members - some 20 years ago - become successful enough to buy new homes and cars, only to see one of them relapse and lose everything and the other one disappear.  Later, another fellow, who showed up with just the clothes on his back and a lot of humility, also quit after a number of successful years.

When I asked why he was  quitting, he said "I can no longer trust you."  Then he left.  I thought that was an interesting statement considering that I'd picked him up from LARC when he had zero and gave him a job.  Then helped him with several financial investments over the years, investments that brought him enough passive income to where he'd never have to work again.

Now, most of us have an ego, especially me, but I do my best to keep it under control. One thing I never forget is those who have helped me get to where I am today.  Like most TLC clients, I showed up to detox with nothing but the clothes I was wearing.  I had 73 cents in my pocket.  I knew I was in a bad spot and that staying sober was the only way I'd be able to stay alive.

But I never forget the people around me who helped me build TLC into one of the bigger programs in this State - and without government subsidies.  There are many of them who are grateful, down-to-earth, humble people who still go to meetings and help others stay sober.

Click here to email John

No comments:

Post a Comment