Friday, June 12, 2015

Blessings of Recovery

A few weeks ago I asked a bank to refinance some TLC apartments to lower the interest rate and save money. Yesterday they said yes.

The loan committee not only approved the project, but added that they were "impressed" with our operation. And they opened the door for more loans if we're interested.

I bring this dry boring stuff up because it has to do with recovery. At one time banks wouldn't talk to me. Or loan me anything. When I first entered recovery nearly 25 years ago I couldn't even have a bank account.

In fact, one time when I tried to borrow money for a house the banker hurt my feelings. He not only refused a loan. He also said the bank wouldn't loan me money "even if J. Paul Getty co-signed for me."

Today life’s different. During the past few weeks two other banks have requested meetings to see if they can lend money for our projects.

What does this have to do with recovery? Everything.

When I first got sober I had 76 cents. No credit. No assets. No car. No job. A high school diploma. Three felony convictions.

But by staying sober and working hard things changed. With the help of sober managers and business associates, TLC has built a good reputation in both the recovery and business world.

It shows that success is something any of us can achieve if we put recovery first.

Click here to email John