Sunday, June 7, 2015

The Difference

 While on an airplane yesterday I was reminded of the difference between alcoholics and so-called "normal" people.

In the section we were in passengers were being served free drinks. A lady behind me ordered a Bloody Mary, while a woman across from me ordered a Screwdriver with a "splash" of seven-up.

And for the rest of the flight neither of them ordered another. Even though the stewardess offered them on more than one occasion. In fact I don't think the lady behind me even finished hers. Because the stewardess finally asked her if she was done with the drink and she said she was, that she'd "had enough."

Because I've been sober nearly 25 years I'm rarely around anyone who drinks. So the way they drank reminded me of how I drank. And I wasn't anything like them.

First off I would have ordered a double shot. I'd have downed that right away. And when she offered me another I'd have kept going until she cut me off. After all it was free, right.

My plan always was to drink as much as I could for as long as I could. I'd only stop when I ran out or was unconscious.

And that's why I quit drinking and putting substances in my body. I didn't know how or when to stop.