Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Matter of Attitude

A former TLC client, in his mid-50s, sat across from me at my desk, depressed and dejected.

                "I don't know what I'm going to do," he said. "I'm looking for a job and nobody will hire me. I know it's because of my age."

He lamented that he'd lost his job because his employer found out he had a felony conviction years earlier. He had no savings and likely would be homeless at the end of the week. He had no idea what to do next.

Because I knew this man had been in business before I wondered why he didn't start something again. After all, many times when one has a felony conviction it’s difficult to find work. In that respect what he was saying is true.

However, I told him I thought his problem was attitude. After all, a man in his mid-50s has many years ahead of him. I suggested he find a menial job and put away a few dollars for a vehicle so he could start a small business. After all, he had a lot of experience in landscaping and home repairs. He  would be his own boss and make more than the average person does because he would be paying himself – instead of someone else paying him.
I told him a story about how in the seventies I one time had lost everything. Not knowing what to do, I borrowed money to finance a small pickup.  Then I started a business trimming trees, hauling trash and doing general cleanups. Within a year I was earning $50,000 after taxes. Yes, it was hard work. But it was well worth it because I ended up being my own boss and paying myself what I thought I was worth.

In concluding my conversation with this man I suggested he not really pay much attention to what he did for money – that what he really needed to pay attention to is his attitude. 

After all, none of us get sober so we can be depressed and do nothing with our lives. And it all turns on our attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment