Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Number 602

A couple of days ago I realized I'd posted over 600 blogs in a row, one a day. When I noticed this I stopped and asked myself: what's the point?

I originally started writing this blog for a couple reasons. One was to force myself to write each day. The other, was so visitors to our website could get more insight about TLC. A few times I thought of stopping this daily routine, instead maybe posting a blog once or twice a week.

Once, when contemplating this, I received an e-mail from a parent who said reading the blog each day helped her feel connected to her son who was at that time in our program. That simple message was enough to keep me writing.

A more difficult aspect of writing this blog is preserving anonymity. Often I see a good lesson for those of us in recovery but I have to be careful about how I describe it. I try to frame the situation so that I talk about principles rather than personalities. Also, I never mention the 12 step programs by name, although at times I refer to them. I do this out of respect for their traditions.

Someone told me a few months ago that a former client said he relapsed because I talked about him in this blog. I'm not sure which blog he was talking about – but if I read through them I can often find my own story.  I've never relapsed over anything I read, but I did get drunk one time because it was raining.

After all, even though we might think we're unique, we addicts and alcoholics are all pretty much alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment