Thursday, October 4, 2012

Giving is the Gift


 “A little fragrance always clings to the hand that gives you roses.” Chinese proverb

We learn in the 12-step program about carrying the message. And the gift, of course, is that when we’re carrying the message we’re reinforcing our own recovery while helping another human being.

At one time my alcoholism didn’t allow me to accept help. I’m not sure why. Maybe it was because I didn’t want to be obligated. Maybe I didn’t want anyone to get that close to me. Maybe I was too arrogant and independent to accept help. 

Today, though, I accept help from anyone who offers it. I don’t want to deprive them of the rewards they get when they do something for someone else.

When we give from our heart – without underlying motivation – it is truly an act of love no matter how small the gift.

Sometimes our clients say they have nothing to give. But that’s not so. We can offer a newcomer directions to a meeting. We can share a job lead. We can welcome them to the program and let them know there’s hope.

These small gifts not only help them, they also enrich our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment