Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Karma


I understand karma to mean that what comes around goes around.

And because I can be a resentful alcoholic, I sometimes think karma doesn’t happen fast enough. That people don’t get their just desserts in a timely fashion – like right when they screw up.

So this week, when the karmic locomotive finally crushed someone I thought was long overdue for justice, my reaction was a psychic letdown.

Instead of being elated that this person had finally received what many thought she had coming, I instead had a sense of sadness.

Because of her actions she lost her professional credentials, essentially costing her a business she’d built over several years.

Her trouble started after she’d achieved some success and began treating others as inferiors, often berating and talking down to them.  And everyone was a target – from waiters to business associates. She was even convicted a few years ago for assaulting a fellow manager.

I guess sadness comes because I hate to see someone waste precious time. This woman had earned two degrees, and possessed the qualities to be a success at whatever she chose - had she chosen a different path.

But for some reason she could never deal with the personal issues and anger that eventually swept her from her pedestal of arrogance.

I hope she can build from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment