Saturday, March 9, 2013

Home Again

Today, in the air for two hours twenty minutes then to our home in Mesa after a wonderful nine days in Puerto Vallarta.

And I return immersed in gratitude for my blessings. And those blessings flow from seeds of sobriety planted in my life over 22 years ago.

Ongoing pain forced me to seek refuge in recovery in a Mesa, Arizona detox January 13, 1991. When I stopped pumping heroin into my arm and chugging whatever booze I could steal, the pain receded.

And I’ve stayed sober because I don’t want the pain to return – and because I’m living the promises.

I’d tried all kinds of ways to successfully drink and drug, as it describes in the recovery literature. Somehow it never worked because I couldn't master the social drinking/drugging thing. If I was conscious I hadn't had enough.

In detox I encountered the steps. I admitted I was powerless over everything – which was easy because I had lifetime of proof. I followed suggestions and six months later realized I no longer hurt. That was an epiphany.

All I wanted was to escape the painful, pointless existence I had when I entered recovery. But the universe is pouring out so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment