Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pet Therapy?

Last week a client from out-of-state came to a session very depressed. When he sat down I asked what was going on because he was near tears. I feared something had happened with his family.

“I miss my dog and cat,” he said hesitantly, after a few minutes.

Hopefully, I didn’t react.  But nontheless I was a bit surprised. After all, this client normally projected an aura of emotional detachment, like he was pretty much unaffected by anything.

Then later in the week I left my office and encountered another client shedding tears on the sidewalk. When I asked what was going on, he told me he missed his dog. Since he lived in Arizona I suggested that maybe he could arrange a visit.

While I’ve been working with addicts for over twenty years - and have a friend who runs a program that takes animals into hospitals - I never a thought about animals in the context of therapy with addicts and alcoholics.

However, the way our history goes once something becomes a topic of interest around here it isn’t long before we somehow try to incorporate pet therapy into the program.

The real question with whatever we initiate is always: will it enhance recovery?

In this case I think we know the answer.