Monday, March 18, 2013

Success Rate?

A while back someone asked about our success rate. I said I didn't know.

I guess I could've said something like 50%. Or 75%. Or 90% for those who spend X amount of months in the program. But the reality is that I don't know. I believe, though, that it’s as good as the next program’s success rate.

Our computer database shows right at 350,000 people in TLC over the past 21+ years. But the idea of tracking what they’re all doing now would be prohibitively expensive and time-consuming. I know other programs advertise a certain success rate. And I don't agree or disagree with their claims.

They may have spent a lot of money at one point to find out where people were at exactly that moment. Or they may have some kind of follow-up program where people check in once in a while.

I'm not sure how they it, but I know tracking people is costly. And I'd rather spend our limited and precious resources on paying bills and helping the addicts who are standing in front of us.

So anything I tell you would be anecdotal. And I do have stories of those who succeeded.

We have many graduates who showed up with only the clothes on their back,

A few years later they'll have a good life. Maybe reunited with the family, off parole, and a job as a supervisor for a construction company. Perhaps own a small maintenance company. Or else back to school and get a degree.

We have many graduates who stay in touch and report success. And that’s enough for me.