Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Making our Beds

Some clients, especially newer ones, have a hard time understanding why they should keep their rooms and living areas clean.  And their beds made.

After all, what does this have to do with recovery?   I go to meetings.   I go to work.  I pay my service fees.   So why do you get excited when my room is funky?  We hear these questions in one form or another fairly often.

But beyond the fact that it's a rule, taking care of our living areas and personal space is a reflection upon who we are.  An unmade bed says "I don't care."  A sink full of dishes might say “I’m a procrastinator."  Or “I'm a slob.”

My experience is - that if we don't care about the little things in our lives - appearances, cleanliness, and personal hygiene - then what other things don’t we care about?

While this may seem a stretch, neglecting little things might be a precursor to not having self-discipline when it comes to important things.   Like picking up a drink, a joint, or a bag of dope.

Taking personal responsibility for the little things is a foundation for developing responsibility in other areas.

Comments?  schwary@msn.com