Thursday, October 1, 2015

1900 Days

1900 hundred days ago, on vacation in San Diego, I made a commitment. And it was to write a daily blog for a year.

But after a year I couldn't stop. I'm not sure why. Maybe I find reward in self-discipline. Doing something that's not always easy - and doing it each day. Because at times it's hard to take an idea and mold into something readable. Something that makes sense.

Or maybe it's more basic. Perhaps I'm still that addict who - when I find something that feels good once in a while - I keep it up. And some of those feel good things are hearing from readers.

As I continued this project, I found that a few, usually mothers, saw hope in what they read here. They found some of the postings educational. They'd read a success story and imagine that could be their kid one day. It's rewarding to hear from them. To know I helped.

I also hear from those struggling with recovery. I have one man who's been heading our way for the past six months from somewhere in Washington. Not sure whether he's hitchhiking, riding trains, or walking. Maybe he's touring every bar and liquor store along the way. I say that because it's taken him six months to get to Southern California. I think the last time I heard from him he was somewhere around Indio. I encouraged him to continue the journey.

In summation, the rewards of doing this outweigh the challenges. That's why I'm aiming for the next 100 days.