Monday, January 23, 2023

ESP?

A common character defect among addicts is that many of them have the ability to read minds.  You probably didn't know this.  But if you don't, you haven't spent much time around addicts.

Today, for  example I was in a productive conversation with a staff member with whom I was having a difference.  And because I'm this person's supervisor I have a certain amount of authority if I decide to exercise it.

The disagreement wasn't about anything important.  But, this person was of the  opinion that because the part of the company he works in brings brings in more revenue than other departments, that his department should dictate how and where the revenue is spent. He has a difficult time looking at himself as part of a larger team that's helping homeless addicts and alcoholics rebuild their lives.  He doesn't see the unity that makes TLC a successful organization that's helped thousands change their lives for the better.  At least, he he doesn't see it until he's prompted.

This person spent time telling me how others saw our business, as if he had a magic viewer that would tell him what others think.  But life doesn't work that way.  That's not to say that we all don't have our opinions and that's okay; it's when we get stuck on the idea that we know what others think that the problem arises.  I'm pretty sure that many people dislike me or our program - but the reality is that I don't give a shit who likes or dislikes us. For all I know, they love us - and I don't care about that either.

What I care about is if we're helping people learn to live better lives. That's what counts in my world - not whether my way is the only way.

Click here to email John

No comments:

Post a Comment