Friday, January 20, 2023

Who Cares?

Many years ago, barely out of my teens, I used to get upset if someone would cut me off in traffic.  That usually - at the least - was the trigger for a shouting match or perhaps something worse.  Like a car chase or a boxing match.  But, we hopefully grow out of those things as we mature.

But today I was reminded of those days when a young driver cut off a vehicle in which I was a passenger.  Even though the other driver didn't have the right-away, he became highly incensed when we made our u-turn and went on our way.  As he passed us he made a point to wave his middle finger at us in a not friendly way and continued down the street.

Just in case he was looking at us, I gave him a smile and friendly wave as we continued on our way.  A couple of those in our vehicle were a little upset at the other driver's reaction.  But, my response was "who cares" if someone doesn't approve of our driving?  We'll likely never see him again anyway.

Too often we read about road rage incidents, mostly on our freeways, and sometimes the result is that someone gets injured or even killed. In these cases I always wonder what is going on in a person's life when they fly into a rage over something as minor as being cut off in traffic. I mean we'll probably never see the person again and yet someone goes into a rage over something as meaningless as being cut off in traffic?

I mean do we really care what someone in another vehicles is thinking or doing unless he drives into the side of our vehicle?  I don't think so. My philosophy is live and let live and to have peace in my life.  

And I can't picture myself letting someone I don't know and likely will never see again get me upset enough to ruin my day.

Click here to email John

No comments:

Post a Comment