Saturday, January 14, 2023

Most Important Step

 The most important of the 12-Steps - in my opinion is the first one.  The one where we admit that we're "powerless and that our lives are unmanageable."

And I say that because that's the step we take that sends us into a different direction, a direction that will help us save ourselves from our addictions.  And, until we accept that step with passion and fervor we're not going far. It's like going upstairs in a building; we never begin our ascent at the 6th or 7th step. No, we start at the beginning.

For many years I believed that I was in control of my addictions and had power over them.  I could quit any time I chose to.  But I hadn't had enough pain to want to quit.  Drugs and alcohol were my friends and I wasn't going to betray them.

Today I work in a recovery program and I meet many clients who're fighting an internal battle, examining whether or not they're powerless over their habits.  Many create drama or self-pity so they have an excuse to go back into the world and try it one more time. Those who can remember how many times they they've failed because of their addictions are the ones who're less likely to relapse.

So, if one embeds the First Step deep in their subconscious, they will have a better chance of putting together a string of sober years.

I know that it worked for me.

Click here to email John

No comments:

Post a Comment