Monday, January 2, 2023

The hard work of Recovery

I get at least one or two calls a year from people who want to start a recovery program, a half-way house, a sober house, a transitional house, or some version thereof.  And because I believe that the best policy is to help others change their lives, I offer them all the help I can in the form of advice.  Even though they might turn out to be competitors. 

But the interesting thing, is that in 30 years of doing this, I've never had anyone follow through.  And, I'm pretty sure I know why.

When I start telling them what's involved in opening living facilities for groups of dysfunctional alcoholics or addicts they begin to realize that it's a lot of relatively complicated hard work. And they never call back.  I've had a few people go through our transitional program and go on to start their own program.  But, I've never seen any of them last long.

You see, a recovery program has a lot of moving parts.  It's about a lot more than just leasing or buying a house and filling it with clients.  Furnishings are necessary.  One needs everything from bedding to cookware. Maintenance is needed.  Staff members must be trained. Policies and procedures must be developed.  The list goes on.

Besides the physical plant, management must deal with insurance, the local government, tax filings, public relations, and sometimes angry clients or their family members.

The operators of these kind of facilities at first don't realize that running a recovery facility is quite labor intensive and also can be emotionally draining.  It's like being a landlord in some ways, except one must be prepared to sometimes be a referee, a parent, a friend, a counselor and a good listener.  

Even when the last thing you want to do is listen to anyone about anything.

Click here to email John

No comments:

Post a Comment