Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Time for Gratitude


Life provides us with opportunities for gratitude.

Today, for example, while at the fitness center, I inquired about a member I hadn't seen for a while. I was shocked to hear that he had developed a life-threatening illness and he was undergoing treatment.

It was a shock because this is a man in his 20s with the fitness level of an Olympic athlete. He runs marathons. He swims. And he has a construction business that has him working hard all day.

After I left the fitness center and went about my day I reflected on the randomness of life. Here's a man who has lived a healthy life yet he's come down with a serious disease. And then there are those of us who spent years living unhealthy lives, destroying ourselves with alcohol and drugs. Yet some of us formerly self-destructive people – myself included – are blessed with health at an advanced age. It's hard to figure.

I have compassion for this very likable young man. And seeing his challenges I have a heightened sense of gratitude for the life and health I enjoy today. 

And I can pray for this man's recovery.