Sunday, August 26, 2012

Time for Gratitude


Life provides us with opportunities for gratitude.

Today, for example, while at the fitness center, I inquired about a member I hadn't seen for a while. I was shocked to hear that he had developed a life-threatening illness and he was undergoing treatment.

It was a shock because this is a man in his 20s with the fitness level of an Olympic athlete. He runs marathons. He swims. And he has a construction business that has him working hard all day.

After I left the fitness center and went about my day I reflected on the randomness of life. Here's a man who has lived a healthy life yet he's come down with a serious disease. And then there are those of us who spent years living unhealthy lives, destroying ourselves with alcohol and drugs. Yet some of us formerly self-destructive people – myself included – are blessed with health at an advanced age. It's hard to figure.

I have compassion for this very likable young man. And seeing his challenges I have a heightened sense of gratitude for the life and health I enjoy today. 

And I can pray for this man's recovery.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your testimony. I have 21 years sober today and too am grateful for the life and health I enjoy today. My son is entering TLC tomorrow and I have great hope the TLC program can help him. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete