Friday, August 3, 2012

Trust God?


Trust God. Clean house. Help others.”  Dr. Bob, 1937

Today I had a frantic call from a recovering friend who received a notice this week from the IRS saying he owed them back taxes from several years ago.

            “They want something like twenty five thousand dollars,” he told me.

            “So, what are you going to do about it?” I asked.  “That’s a lot of money to come up with all at once.”

But after he slowed down a bit he said he wasn’t sure he owed anything. Then he thought he might owe something. Then he figured he must have assumed some liabilities from a business deal he was in a few years ago.  The only thing certain was that he wasn’t sure about anything - other than he’d gotten a letter saying they wanted money.

Before we ended the conversation I suggested he first figure out if he really had an issue, or if it was even his problem at all. Once he determined that maybe I could help him figure out the rest because I'd been dealing with similar issues over the past 20 years in business.

And the last thing I suggested is that he probably needed to call his sponsor.  One thing I’ve learned in the rooms is that things are exactly as they’re supposed to be at this moment. There are always issues that can fire up our addict brains; it's how we respond that counts.

Trusting God brings things into perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment