Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Power of Forgiveness


 A woman who was freed this week after serving 49 years in prison for murdering a child said her life changed when the victim’s mother forgave her for the crime.

"She made me feel that I wasn't a monster," she said. "I felt if she could forgive me for taking her child's life, I could forgive myself. ... It was my responsibility to try to become a better person than I was."

During the early years of her life sentence the woman was constantly in trouble and escaped several times.  But once she was forgiven nearly 30 years ago she made efforts to transform her life.

The story of how forgiveness was the catalyst for her change is an example to those of us in recovery. 
Because resentments and anger are often the triggers that send us back to drugs and alcohol forgiveness of others  – and even ourselves- can help set us free of our addictions.

While our stories are not as dramatic as this one, who knows what the power of forgiveness can do in our own lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment